Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Interviews about Planned Parenthood

I chose to interview a friend of mine, Jessica Dragon, because I wanted to see what the average adult currently knew about Planned Parenthood and the cuts in funding. Jessica is 30 years old, low/average income, and a mother of a 3 year old daughter. The interview went as follows:

Can you tell me what you already know about planned parenthood?
- I have heard of PPH before, but I am not sure what its actual purpose is. If I had to guess I would believe it was a clinic where couples struggling to get pregnant would go to conceive.

After noting the participant was unaware, I allowed her to briefly read about the issues on our blog and continued my questioning

Do you now believe that Planned Parenthood is beneficial and deserves funding? Why?
-I think its important because otherwise these low income families would have no other alternative for treatments.

What are the advantages of the PPH Program?
-It gives support to women who cant afford healthcare otherwise and routine health checks.

What are the disadvantages?
-I think it is possibly costing the taxpayers too much money.

What would you change about the PPH funding to improve it?
-Instead of using government tax money, make it a non-profit organization.

Do you know where you can get more information on this policy and funding?
-I have not heard much about it but I assume if I wanted to find information, its available on the internet.

What do you think is the first step to helping PPH Funding?
-A lot of people don't know about it like me. I had no idea what it was until I read your blog but I think it is important to the low income women and we need to start spreading the word and making people aware.

In interviewing Jessica, I am starting to become more aware that the issue may not lie in the policy or funding, but rather the fact that the people are not educated about this matter. We can not make positive change, let alone any change if we are not educated. My focus after this interview may shift towards educating people about this program and the importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment